Hello,

I would like to import data from a utf8-coded comma seperated file. I
created my database with "DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE
utf8_general_ci" and I started my mysql-client with the
--default-character-set=utf8 option. Nevertheless, when I input primary
key fields, which differ only in one umlaut character (e.g. "achten" and
"ächten") I get the following error message:

ERROR 1062 (23000): Duplicate entry 'ächten' for key 1

(Same thing happens when I try to manually INSERT the row.)

When I display my variable settings with "SHOW variables LIKE 'c%';" I receive
the following result:

+--------------------------+----------------------------+
 | Variable_name            | Value                      |
 +--------------------------+----------------------------+
 | character_set_client     | utf8                       |
 | character_set_connection | utf8                       |
 | character_set_database   | utf8                       |
 | character_set_filesystem | binary                     |
 | character_set_results    | utf8                       |
 | character_set_server     | latin1                     |
 | character_set_system     | utf8                       |
 | character_sets_dir       | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ |
 | collation_connection     | utf8_general_ci            |
 | collation_database       | utf8_general_ci            |
 | collation_server         | latin1_swedish_ci          |
 | completion_type          | 0                          |
 | concurrent_insert        | 1                          |
 | connect_timeout          | 5                          |
 +--------------------------+----------------------------+
 14 rows in set (0.02 sec)

>From this I conclude it is the server setting, which causes the trouble
here. When I manipulate the settings manually from the client (with "SET
character_set_server=utf8; SET collation_server=utf8_general_ci;") the
values do change, but not the behaviour. But this can be expected, since
the server is already up and running with the wrong settings.

Does anybody know how I restart my mysql-server with the correct
character and collation settings, if this is the cause for my problem,
or if there might be any other reason for it. My mysql version is
5.0.26-12, running on a Suse Linux 10.2.

Best regards,
H.

--
"Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish
and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer