Edward Kay schrieb:
> Try using the SET NAMES 'utf8' statement [1] to tell MySQL that your client
> is sending data in UTF-8. I believe that as your server is latin1, it will
> assume this is the character set used by the command line client.
>
> [1] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset-connection.html
>
> Edward

I tried, but the behaviour remains the same. I guess my first option
should be to force the server to use utf8 as default. I would have no
problems in doing so, because I hardly use any latin1 anymore.

But how would I do so? The mysqld has some options for this, but I
didn't manage yet to simply restart it with new options, because it is
started somewhere in the init.d-procedure of my Linux system and even as
root I cannot simply invoke it from the command line.

Best regards,
Harald

--
"Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish
and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer