I used the latin collation and latin db character set, to load data similar
to you, and we got this done correctly.

If your inserting multi byte data, then u need to set the above parameters.
This was one of the solutions give by mysql, i am not able to get the url. I
will search my notes and get back to  you all.

regards
anandkl