An interface by definition is a point of interconnection.

Maybe its a bit of a grey area where the interpretation can be different
depending on whether you think in terms of hardware or software.

Its the port which is used to communicate with the MySQL (or indeed any
other) server software so therefore for the server software (but maybe not
the physical hardware) its the port which is the point of interconnection
(the network interface).

For me the book is correct but I can see where confusion could occur.

John