Claudio,

Nobody is arguing, its a discussion list not an arguing list and this is a
good discussion to have on here. Im very interested in seeing what others
have to say about this but here is how I interpret it (based on my 18
years of IT experience which includes many years working with MySQL
including becoming mysql dba and dev certified amongst many other
certifications)

I would say in terms of the MySQL server the interface is either a TCP/IP
Port, a Named Pipe, shared memory or a UNIX Socket. Depending on the host
operating system it can use any of those interfaces but each instance must
have its own interface.

I believe you are confusing server hardware and server software. Do you
consider a server to be a physical machine or an application that runs on
a physical machine? Its the same difference. The network card is physical
hardware, the port is not!

John