Andy,

Like I said, I would like to hear what others think and I'd be
particularly interested in some comment from within MySQL.

For the purposes of the exam, which I think the original question related
to, I would say you have to accept mysql's interpretation of 'network
interface' as being a port, socket, pipe etc. Thats what it says in the
study guide and the reference manual and thats what they are going to test
you on.

John