Quoting John Daisley <john.dais...@mypostoffice.co.uk>:

I would say in terms of the MySQL server the interface is either a TCP/IP
Port, a Named Pipe, shared memory or a UNIX Socket. Depending on the host
operating system it can use any of those interfaces but each instance must
have its own interface.

Just to chip in on this, an "interface" can obviosly mean a lot of things depending on the context and I accept the above discription in relation to MySQL. However in the text originally referenced the term used was "network interface" which I think most Sys/DB admins etc would understand to be a network interface in the sense the operating system considers it, ie a physical or virtual IP network intreface at the OS level. With regards the MySQL requirement the original text was discussing, I believe it is in reference to a TCP port which will normally be sitting on an OS level "network interface" hence I think this is badly worded in the text.

thanks Andy.