John,
I don't want to argue too much on this but I'd also like the opinion of the
big heads in MySQL

I think there's no grey area here.
An interface is an interface and can be of any type and supporting any
protocol(TCP/IP on ethernet card, UDP idem. DSL on WAN card, PPP on POTS
modem)

A port is related ONLY to the TCP/IP protocol(in this case)

Moreover, are all the *nix systems wrong?

[c...@terramia ~]$ man ifconfig
IFCONFIG(8)                Linux Programmer's Manual
IFCONFIG(8)

NAME
       ifconfig - configure a network interface

SYNOPSIS
       ifconfig [interface]
       ifconfig interface [aftype] options | address ...

So, let's see what a 'network interface' is:
[c...@terramia ~]$ /sbin/ifconfig eth0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1C:23:3F:CB:C0
          inet addr:10.xxx.xxx.xxx  Bcast:10.xxx.xxx.xxx  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::21c:23ff:fe3f:cbc0/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:851379513 (811.9 MiB)  TX bytes:1896970616 (1.7 GiB)
          Interrupt:177
Aren't we supposed to see just a port number here?

Cheers
Claudio