Where on earth did you get an RPM that doesn't have InnoDB support?  I
find this unlikely.  I think it is more likely that you have some
configuration error that's causing InnoDB to disable itself on start.
How do you know InnoDB isn't supported?  And by "isn't supported" I
mean "isn't compiled into mysqld".

Per your commend that InnoDB wasn't installed with mysqld -- it is not
separate.  It's built into the /usr/sbin/mysqld binary (or whatever
that is on your system).  For example, look at this:

strings /usr/sbin/mysqld | grep -i innodb

If you see a bunch of lines starting with "InnoDB: blah blah", you
have a binary that includes InnoDB, and it's just disabled for some
reason.

Baron

--
Baron Schwartz, Director of Consulting, Percona Inc.
Our Blog: http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/