How does one do that in my.cnf?

It is possible to disable a supported engine by screwing up the my.cnf
configuration.  For example, I once pointed the InnoDB data file to a
directory that still had root as its owner.  The Innodb engined appeared as
DISABLED in the SHOW ENGINES output, but it was supported.  I chown'd the
directory to the proper owner and it was fine.  (This may be why I mistyped
InnoDB in my first post - I had InnoDB on my mind.)

In the case of the FEDERATED engine in my database, it's not supported at
all.  I don't think I can turn support on or off in my.cnf.  I would love
it, if I could, though.