On 02/09/2010 4:32 p, Johan De Meersman wrote:
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Jangita <jang...@jangita.com
<mailto:jang...@jangita.com>> wrote:

Growth should be linear to the growth of customers, no ? :-)

I thought so too; but one customer = 1 customer record, plus all his transactions, and also weirdly enough (common for us Africans) customers tend to use the service more as more customers enroll (did that make any sence?) :):)
RAID setup is important :-) Datafiles preferably on raid 10.

Thanks a bunch on that generous tip!

Have a look at Ultramonkey for that.

Thanks again!

Standard setup would be replication, yes. If you setup automatic
failover, make sure you prevent automatic failback - that's the best way
to mess up your dataset.

I also hear MMM is pretty good, although I have no personal experience
with it.

Another route you might want to investigate, is Xen (or VMWare, if so
inclined). Build a single virtual host on your hardware, allocate
everything and the kitchen sink to it, and run your MySQL in it. You'll
have a slight performance loss, obviously, but here's the benefit: you
can set up the second server so that it keeps a bit-perfect copy of your
primary machine. The moment your primary machine dies, the second takes
over; and since it has the EXACT same state down to the last bit of ram,
you don't even lose a ping.

Under Xen this feature is called Remus I believe, VMWare calls it Live
Migration or something similar.

Thanks!
--
Jangita | +256 76 91 8383 | Y! & MSN: jang...@yahoo.com