Am 25.01.2011 05:37, schrieb Robinson, Eric:
> Is there a way to safely backup an InnoDB database using rsync?

Not without stop mysqld
Foregt it, do not try it and stop searching if you do not waste time

If you understand how innodb works you will see that
this is not possible by design

your whole solution is crippled because why in the world
are you killing your salves and reinit them without any
reason daily?

you can get a fresgh backup of the master with the following method
but nobody do that daily - this is only for init/reinit a salve

* rsync on master in another local folder while running
* stop master
* remove bin-logs
* second rsync to get last changes
* start master
* rsync to final destination

> When I'm all done, I have 240+ slave servers in perfect sync with their
> masters, each having a 100% identical binary copy of its master's
> database. Since these copies are truly identical, they can be used for a
> second layer of backup to other media.

why in the world do you not leave the slaves in peace and backup them
to another media because you can stop them as long you want for
a consistent backup and after starting the last changes from
the master are applied

--

Mit besten Grüßen, Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH