Am 25.01.2011 15:00, schrieb Robinson, Eric:
>> your whole solution is crippled because why in the world are
>> you killing your salves and reinit them without any reason daily?
>
> There is a very good reason: it is the phenomenon of row drift. The
> master and slave can appear to be in good sync, but often it is not
> actually the case.

There is nothing drifting and nobody cares if the files on both servers
are binary identical, the data must be consistent and it is

binlog-format = ROW

> For this reason, most people agree that it is not
> safe to rely on the slave server as the source for your backups.

sorry but these people have no plan

> My solution efficiently corrects row drift and makes sure the slaves
> are 100% binary replicas of the slaves

jesus christ nobody cares if they are binary replica as long
as the data is consistent and ident

> I fail to see how this is "crippled."

It is crippled because you do not understand the sense of
replication if you reinit it every day

> See my comment above. (But also we cannot stop them as long as we want
> because the slaves are used for running reports.

so start another slave on the machine with his own socket
for backups, i have running on all dedicated backup-servers
two instances - one is useable r/w and the other one without
tcp is the replication-slave, every hour the salve is stopped
and datadir mirrored to the r/w-instance

> Using my approach, each slave is down for about 30 seconds.
> The masters are not brought down at all.

and if you running a clean solution the salves are never down

> but is there really no way to put InnoDB into a state where all
> changes have been flushed to disk and it is safe to rsync the directory?

no, it is a database and not designed for access from external software
as long as the database is running

> Is stopping the service really the only way?

yes, and not only for innodb
try to copy oracle, postgresql, ms-sql :-)

if you do not stop the service you can be sure that the backup is
not useable or missing data, even if there would exist a mode
sync all to disk nobody would officially support copy datafiles
while the service is running, even with myisam nobody will do that

> And even if I stop the service, is rsync totally
> safe with InnoDB?

why not?

the server is down and you copy the whole datadir
what can be unsafe there?