> your whole solution is crippled because why in the world are
> you killing your salves and reinit them without any reason daily?

There is a very good reason: it is the phenomenon of row drift. The
master and slave can appear to be in good sync, but often it is not
actually the case. For this reason, most people agree that it is not
safe to rely on the slave server as the source for your backups. My
solution efficiently corrects row drift and makes sure the slaves are
100% binary replicas of the slaves, which can then be trusted as backup
sources. The whole thing is very fast and there is no downtime for
users, who can continue to work 24x7. I fail to see how this is
"crippled."

> why in the world do you not leave the slaves in peace and
> backup them to another media because you can stop them as
> long you want for a consistent backup and after starting the
> last changes from the master are applied

See my comment above. (But also we cannot stop them as long as we want
because the slaves are used for running reports. Using my approach, each
slave is down for about 30 seconds. The masters are not brought down at
all.)

> If you understand how innodb works you will see that this is
> not possible by design

I'm starting to worry that you may be right. I know FLUSH TABLES WITH
READ LOCK does not work as expected with InnoDB, but is there really no
way to put InnoDB into a state where all changes have been flushed to
disk and it is safe to rsync the directory? Is stopping the service
really the only way? (And even if I stop the service, is rsync totally
safe with InnoDB?)

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - January 25, 2011
solely for Reindl Harald,mysql@lists.mysql.com. If you are not the named
addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any
views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and
might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select
Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select
Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in
this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage
arising from the use of this email or attachments.