Quoting Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net>:

Odd that, so I added a mysql specific line to the hosts.allow

who is using hosts.allow for protection instead a firewall in front of the machine
or iptables (linux) / ipf (bsd)?
Its used for denyhosts as I mentioned.

As I said I can get it to restart just by doing a remote connect from another server...

reproduceable or was it a lucky hit once?

if mysqld crashs ypu see normally something in the mysqld-error-log or in the syslog of the machine, until now ypu provided no silngle line about a crash from any log

Yes its reproduceable as I mentioned. I have provided all info from the mysqld-error-log already, I haven't provided anything from syslog as there is nothing there, as I mentioned. If you don't believe me I can't provide it to you...