Quoting walter harms <wha...@bfs.de>:

What i found odd that your mysqld actualy restarts.
Do you have it in some runlevel ? if yes stop and see
what happens.
If this does not work simple move the mysqld out of he way
and replace it with a script like

#!/bin/sh
echo "mysqld ..." | logger -t TEST

see what happens in /var/log/syslog (you get the idea).

Hi,

its FreeBSD so no run levels other than single user and up/multi user. And FreeBSD has no Solaris like SMF like monitoring of daemons so I can be fairly certain that the RC script is not being called by anything. I do use PSMON but this will advise me if its taken action, and Ive tested with PSMON stopped also. As I said I can get it to restart just by doing a remote connect from another server...

Andy.