Quoting walter harms <wha...@bfs.de>:

I still do not see why it is restarting ... there must be something watching is disappear. Just to be sure, you do from a remote host: mysql -hHOST -ume -e "show tables" ?
long shot: Do you have LDAP, NIS or so enabled ?

Ok so made a script as you suggested, and it is called from mysqld_safe. So that is what is restarting mysqld.

With regard to is it doing a proper shutdown, no it isn't. It restarts instantly when triggered by a remote connection, and for example I see no "InnoDB: Starting shutdown..." info logged by mysqld.

I'm not using LDAP or NIS.

Andy.