it does not matter what kind of users

usually each application has it's own datanase and it's
own user, the application makes the connection and
can at this point log whatever you want

using the "general query log" can only be a bad joke
you will log EVERY query and not only logins

again: it is not the job of a RDBMS to waste I/O and
performance with such things - the application as
example could refresh it only once per user-session

the RDBMS would write blindly for each connection