On 12-Jul-01 Sebastian Sanchez wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I'm having this problem when deleting many rows from a very large table,
> after waiting for 3 hours or so mysql tells me that 20 mega rows have been
> deleted, but
> a df -k still says that no space has been freed.

Correct, the rows are *marked* as deleted, but the disk space is still
alocated; subsequent inserts will re-use the holes.
If you need the space, run OPTIMIZE TABLE.

Regards,
--
Don Read                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- It's always darkest before the dawn. So if you are going to