Hi!

<cut>

Sander> I do not deny their claim on the trademark OR domain, but I am somewhat
Sander> unpleasantly surprised by the means they try to resolve this matter, and
Sander> the fact that nobody in a what I assume is an internet-aware company
Sander> like MySQL even considered getting the .org and .net before others did.
See my previous letter;  We did everything in our power to resolve this
in a friendly manner but didn't succeed in this.

We didn't own mysql.net and mysql.org ourselves, but both of these
where owned by friends of ours.

You have also to remember that when our friends acquired the domains,
we where just a couple of guys working on developing MySQL.  We spend
ALL our time on development and counted on that our friends should
take care of the domains until we could get more people that could
things like this.  Now we have the people, but due to unforeseen
events things didn't work out as we had planed :(

Sander> The fees for whoever wrote that PR statement are worth at least 3 years
Sander> of MySQL.org/net/com registration fees, if not way more. If a company
Sander> likes to spend its precious time in court, argueing over domains, then
Sander> by all means - don't register any .net/.org domains. But at less than
Sander> $17 a year/domain, getting them is certainly the wise thing to do.

Things are not always as easy as they may seem :(

Regards,
Monty