"Sander Pilon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > I think all of us should send a letter to the people who appropriated
> > the MySQL.org name. In my opinion, if MySQL AB wants this domain they
> > should have the right to it. To me, it is a show of disrespect to the
> > fine folks at MySQL AB and I am disgusted that mysql.org has chosen
> > to so blatantly violate trademark rights. I hope at least that you do
> > not visit or contribute to the mysql.org Web site.
> >

> Rule number one on the internet: If you have a trademark, GET THE .COM,
> .NET, .ORG, .CC and .CX ASAP!!!

That shouldn't be necesarry - if you have a trademark, you have
it[1]. Getting domains you don't need shouldn't be necesarry - even if
Coca-Cola hadn't owned cocacola.org, no others would have the right to
do so.

> The fine folks at MySQL ignored that rule, and are now left with a
> rotten situation. IMHO, their own fault - and the way they try to
> resolve it is, IMHO, not the right way and somewhat typical for large
> american corporations like MS.

It's eventually the right way - they shouldn't have to own it if they
don't need it. Having a trademark means that only you can use it, not
that you have to use it for everything or everywhere.

Of course, nice mails and so on should be attempted first, but after
that they have right to use whatever means necesarry to make
infringers stop using it.

[1] Unless your claim is utterly bogus, like the person trademarking
    Linux. He was eventually forced to give it to Linus.
--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.