> The last thing that wurries me is the lack of updates on the issue,
> when i, as a wurried client & customer go to the mysql.com website, the
> only thing i find is a 'open inventation for 2001/07/18'. Being
> deep-august i presume that has come and gone, and no results or
> communications can be found.. (and the changelog mentioning: All
> reference to Gemini DB removed). MySql.org offers even less information.

The dispute between MySQL AB and NuSphere doesn't concern me as it does you. MySQL's
only loss was that at one time it supported Gemini tables, and now it does not.
Apparently, this couldn't mean TOO much to you in that I'm guessing you don't rely on
transactions. And even if you did, there are Berkley DB and InnoDB table support for
transactions. As far as I've read, NuSphere is in violation of the GPL, but I
genuinely believe that things can be worked out -- you just have to pay the piper.

This whole "Internet free" mentality has now spread from users to companies. I think
it's time that users and companies start realizing that nothing is entirely "free".

> So, my real question, is MySql still the top choice for developers?
> Can you affirm that my choice for MySql is the right one?

MySQL is my top choice. Heheh.. "affirm"? Nope. I can suggest that you try the other
database backends out there, open-source and non-open-source. We have and MySQL is
still our choice for many reasons. It's fast, very active community (1,000+ messages
on this mailing list alone in just a few weeks), very fast and fantastic support (my
company has an e-mail support contract with MySQL AB), and the pricing can't be beat
(free for most of you, but if you bundle the software, there's plenty of room for
margin).

[.kate]
Visit http://www.visto.com.
Find out  how companies are linking mobile users to the
enterprise with Visto.