> > I would also strongly suggest not storing your images in the
> database but
> > rather a link to the image.
>
> even that  - why?
> if you're using an ultrafast webserver like Tux in combination with
> Apache/php-perl
> the Tux webserver serves the images incredibly fast (see specweb tests)
> what advantage is the storing of a link to images in a SQL database?

Because:

A) There's no *point* in keeping the image in the database.
A DBMS is all about searching, comparing, relations, etc. You
get *none* of these by storing the image data in the DB.

B) Unless you're careful, you totally defeat both the
web servers and the clients ability to make use of caching
mechanisms. While you may not see a big difference on the
server, it can make one h... of a difference to the user
stuck behind a 33.6K modem.

I can think of more reasons, but these are enough to convince
me that it's a Bad Idea(tm).

/ Carsten
--
Carsten H. Pedersen
keeper and maintainer of the bitbybit.dk MySQL FAQ