On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 06:37:26PM +0200, Chris Chabot wrote:

>     I have been looking at this mysql.com/org dispute for a while now,
> and i must say i am getting more and more wurried.

Many of us have.

> I have been a faithfull user of MySql for some years now. Not
> because it is the 'best full features database out there', but
> because it serves my specific needs perfectly (easy intergration
> with PHP and support for tons of images stored in a database).

Great.

>     Now, a few years after first using MySql, a major dispute seems to
> plague the 'image' of MySql, and posibly also the future of the
> product.

The image of MySQL or NuSphere?

> Big disputes like this won't make any customer of mine choose my
> MySql-based product any faster, quite the oposite, and i have already
> recieved numorous questions from my clients about my MySql choice..

What are they asking, specifically?

> I am not siding with any party, nor giving (or want to have) any
> opinion on this dispute, however it is hurting my buisness, and my
> faith in continued fast development in MySql.

Will it help when you see MySQL 4.0 come out?

> MySql is not 'there' yet, it has a while to go before it is 'there'
> (thats why external parties sponsoring or helping with mysql 4
> sounded great).

Where is 'there' for you?

> For my clients, and my self, only the bottom line matters... will
> this still be a product of choice in a few years, and is it worth
> the investment of resources to use it.

> The last thing that wurries me is the lack of updates on the issue,
> when i, as a wurried client & customer go to the mysql.com website,
> the only thing i find is a 'open inventation for 2001/07/18'. Being
> deep-august i presume that has come and gone, and no results or
> communications can be found.. (and the changelog mentioning: All
> reference to Gemini DB removed). MySql.org offers even less
> information.

You can assume that *something* is going on--maybe it's just lawyers
talking at each other.  NuSphere did just send some patches into the
MySQL developers (earlier this week).

I know that the folks at MySQL have been trying to get the dispute
resolved.

> So, my real question, is MySql still the top choice for developers?

It is for some.  Others like PostreSQL, Oracle, DB2, etc.

> Can you affirm that my choice for MySql is the right one?

Only you can do that.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 8 days, processed 106,624,559 queries (140/sec. avg)