> I have not read the MySQL license in detail.
>
> Does it allow someone or a group to start another fork of the source that
> is independent from the current developers?

The MySQL source is under the GPL.  Any fork must also be under the
GPL.  You may sell your forked MySQL, but you must also provide the
source code.

> If yes, is any one else interested in starting a fork in which the primary
> goal would be to improve the smaller todos and performance for small sites
> (the majority who use MySQL)?
>
> It seems to me that the direction of MySQL is now heading more towards big
> sites given the features in 4.0.

Even though I run a small site, I very much like the direction MySQL 4.0
is headed.  Features like foreign keys, triggers, and subselects can
help small sites as much as big sites (subselects are definitely the
least useful feature of those three though...).

Features like replication (already in 3.23) are definitely geared more
towards big sites.

> I understand we would have to donate our work back to open source and I
> don't see a conflict with that.  This would remove MySQL core group from
> the annoyance of people like me who just want a solid 3.23 with the little
> refinements done.  For those who outgrow our product, they could easily
> migrate to the full MySQL 4.x and later.
>
> Let me know if you think my idea has merit.  But please no personal attacks
> and all that other noise.  Just to the point if we can.

I think it would be more useful to work on the main branch and add extra
value to it, such as Heikki has done.  That way all users of MySQL can
benefit from your fixes, etc.

Steve Meyers