[snip]

>The MySQL source is under the GPL.  Any fork must also be under the
>GPL.  You may sell your forked MySQL, but you must also provide the
>source code.

Thanks.  No resistence from me about publishing source.

>Even though I run a small site, I very much like the direction MySQL 4.0
>is headed.  Features like foreign keys, triggers, and subselects can
>help small sites as much as big sites (subselects are definitely the
>least useful feature of those three though...).
>
>Features like replication (already in 3.23) are definitely geared more
>towards big sites.

I understand and respect this point of view, and my point of view is
counterintuitive.

I hope you do not mind if I say there is a big difference between "can" and
"will" in the above context.

I may use all those features someday, but right now I am not, and beginners
have other priorities and hurdles to cross first.

Marketing is targetting.  Effective development is focus on target.

I suggest a good book to everyone.  It is entitled "The 80/20 Rule".  It
basically says that you do 20% effort for 80% result, and leave the 80%
effort and 20% result for your competitor.

>I think it would be more useful to work on the main branch and add extra
>value to it, such as Heikki has done.  That way all users of MySQL can
>benefit from your fixes, etc.

I RESPECTFULLY disagree because:

1. Integrating changes in an ever more complex code base, can get more and
more inefficient.

2. It will be a while before 4.x is stable.  Every change we want, has to
wait for the rest of MySQL's grand focus to become stable in each
iteration.  This is not efficient for the target.

3. It is not well focused.

(Please don't attack me personally for expressing a strong opinion.  I have
said nothing personal here)