> I think it would be more useful to work on the main branch and add extra
> value to it, such as Heikki has done.  That way all users of MySQL can
> benefit from your fixes, etc.

IMHO I think this would be best too, I know I would like both the
newer/forthcoming features in the 4.x branch, but would also greatly
appreciate any new features and stability that you or any other members of
teh community could add.  This is one of the greatest aspects of the Open
Source Model.  Not to disclude the ability to make your own fork, but in this
case I really wouldn't see a need to keep any updates you make separate.
--
Jayce^