I'm currently running MySQL for a big, fast app without
problems.  BUT:

I'm in the middle of specifying a new application with a high
load, and I'm consideing looking for alternatives to MySQL
because without InnoDB, it gets really slow on tables
with frequent updates and reads (no row locking).

We have, for example, a session table that records
all the incoming requests for holding state.  Since
it's constantly being updated and read, it is frequently
locked, and there are often instances where 50 reads
will stack up while a lock is held.  This slows down
the whole database.

With InnoDB, I'm sure this problem goes away, but as soon as we
go to InnoDB, we have to pay for backups and support,
which means we start looking around at 'pay' solutions.

Is there something I'm missing?

Steve