just wanted to add another category of comparison:
mysql is fast, reliable and scalable. that's a fact! we don't
need to discuss this anymore.
BUT: the sql-set is too limited for most of the real use cases
out there. just think of the missing sub-selects or
multitable-updates/deletes or stored procedures. i worked with
m$ sqlserver and oracle for years and i really miss these features
in mysql. i am looking forward to see version 4.x having these
things.

mysql rocks and oracle is really expensive :) so i continue using
mysql for almost all projects.

cheers,
pero