I currently use MS Access as a single-user desktop database. The database is
getting quite large. The largest table has 300,000 rows.

I am considering upgrading the database. How suitable is MySQL as a
single-user desktop database? How does it compare to Access when it is used
like this?

Obviously MySQL would have advantages if I intended to use it as a server
database with concurrent users. But is it faster than Access in the
single-user environment, when dealing with large databases?

Thanks for any help.