I don't think Access is crap at all. In fact I think it's a) the best RAD
front end going for SQL Server and perhaps for MySQL too. I use Access 2000
and 2002 + MyODBC to create front ends to MySQL databases and the
combination works great. In less than one morning I successfully ported the
Northwind sample application to MyOBC+MySQL. I had to fix a couple of
queries that wouldn't translate, but other than that it worked like a charm.
And one of the best reasons to go with such a combination is that Access can
save named queries, which can then be combined. For example:

qryProductsList:
SELECT products.ProductID, products.ProductName, products.UnitPrice,
products.SupplierID
FROM products
ORDER BY products.ProductName;

qrySuppliersList:
SELECT suppliers.SupplierID, suppliers.CompanyName
FROM suppliers
ORDER BY suppliers.CompanyName;

qryCombinedProductsAndSuppliersList:
SELECT qryProductsList.ProductName, qryProductsList.UnitPrice,
qrySuppliersList.CompanyName
FROM qrySuppliersList INNER JOIN qryProductsList ON
qrySuppliersList.SupplierID = qryProductsList.SupplierID;

MySQL by itself doesn't provide this kind of capability. I find it
enormously valuable.

Just my $.02.

Arthur