Hi David, Adam,

On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 10:37, David Lloyd wrote:
> > Obviously MySQL would have advantages if I intended to use it as a server
> > database with concurrent users. But is it faster than Access in the
> > single-user environment, when dealing with large databases?

I'd think so, yes. Different design.
Of course it will depend on your table layout and query phrasing.

> MySQL in a single user environment is a pain in the arse because of its
> lack of an Access Like front end that is actually useful and featureful
> (Access is crap, but it's a better database frontend than currently
> exists).

You can use MS Access as a front-end for MySQL, via MyODBC. This is
particularly useful when migrating data from Access to MySQL, or when
existing users are used to the MS Access interface.

On a related note, have you looked at MyCC (MySQL Control Center),
downloadable from www.mysql.com. A graphical client for both Linux and
Windows. It can't do everything yet, but users say it has a very nice
intuitive interface and it's already got quite a following!

Regards,
Arjen.

--
MySQL Training in Auckland and Sydney, http://www.mysql.com/training/