I cannot connect from my Windows machine to the MySQL database running on
the Linux server.

I have tried several different programs and they all report an error that
says "Lost connection to MySQL server during connection".

I have read all the articles I can find and searched the archives as well as
I can figure out but I am still stumped.

Here are some pertinent details.

1) The Server is running Redhat 7.3 and MySQL 3.23.49. It is on my local
network at 192.168.3.2 and there are no firewalls between it and the Windows
machine. (Both are behind the same firewall, and completely open to each
other.)

2) The Windows machine is running Win98 SE at 192.168.3.x (DHCP).

3) On the linux machine I can access MySQL just fine. The mysql command
works, and I can serve web pages with PHP/MySQL content.

4) I can telnet, Samba, xterm, etc. to the linux machine just fine. I can
telnet to port 80 and get a connection although it doesn't do much there.

5) I cannot telnet to port 3306. When I try, I get an immediate "Host
connection lost." error.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

        Thanks,
                -- Will