Thank you, but at this point I am pretty sure that my problem is not a
matter of entries in the user table. When I attempt to telnet into port 3306
the connection is immediately dropped. I don't really know if any connection
is actually established at all, it may be established and immediately
dropped on simply refused from the start. There does not appear to be any
exchange of user names or passwords. I have several variations of my
username and host name in the user table. I believe that one of them should
have worked if that was the problem.

I believe that the problem lies in the mysql configuration. I think that it
is not responding to the TCP/IP port in the way that I need it to. I have
verified that the --skip-network flag is NOT set (set to OFF) so it is not
that simple, but I cannot find any other flag that looks any more promising.

Any other Ideas?

BTW Thanks for the webmin tip, I'll give it a try. Doesn't solve all of my
problem, but it may help.

        Thanks,
                --Will