> Thank you, but at this point I am pretty sure that my problem is not a
> matter of entries in the user table. When I attempt to telnet
> into port 3306
> the connection is immediately dropped. I don't really know if
> any connection
> is actually established at all, it may be established and immediately
> dropped on simply refused from the start. There does not appear to be any
> exchange of user names or passwords. I have several variations of my
> username and host name in the user table. I believe that one of
> them should
> have worked if that was the problem.

If you try and telnet to port 3306 on the machine that MySQL is running on,
you will see the connection being established, then you'll see garbage, as
MySQL is designed to talk to clients on that port, not humans ;)

If you are seeing the connection being established, then *immediately*
dropped, not refused, then the problem may be in MySQL.  If the connection
is refused, this is a different issue.

Depending on what version of MySQL and Linux/whatever you're running, I
believe there's a verified problem with MySQL and RedHat Linux - mismatch
of glibc version, I think.