Thank you to both of you who responded to my question. I have checked both
of these issues and found that neither solve  my situation.

1) I have (and had) both a 'will@localhost' and a 'will@"%"' entry in the
user table. Is there something else that has to be done to set up the host?

2) According to 'mysqladmin variables' the --skip-networking option is set
to OFF. That should mean that Olaf's suggestion is satisfied, right?

So I still need some more ideas. Why am I not able to connect to MySQL from
another machine?

        Thanks,
                -- Will

Randy Witt wrote:
>Will,
>
>Do you have a user/host pair for the client in the user table within the
>mysql database?? It's not good enough just to have a user, the host has
>to be setup too.

And
Olaf van Zandwijk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems to me that you can't connect to MySQL from an other machine at
> all. Did you start MySQL with the --skip-networking option? Try removing
> that option from the start-up scripts.
>
> \Olaf

>Will Merrell wrote:
>
>I cannot connect from my Windows machine to the MySQL database running on
>the Linux server.
>
>I have tried several different programs and they all report an error that
>says "Lost connection to MySQL server during connection".
>
>I have read all the articles I can find and searched the archives as well
as
>I can figure out but I am still stumped.
>
>Here are some pertinent details.
>
>1) The Server is running Redhat 7.3 and MySQL 3.23.49. It is on my local
>network at 192.168.3.2 and there are no firewalls between it and the
Windows