Well, after much fussing around with RPM's and searching this list, I have
resolved my problem.

The clue was the discussion on this list regarding the glibc bug. I upgraded
to the 4.0.x RPM's that I got from the MySQL site and after I got all of the
dependency problems fixed I was able to start up a MySQL/PHP setup that
worked. Now both the website development works and I can use MyCC on the
windows machine to administer the database.

Thank you to all that considered my problem.

        --Will