What you need to have is a _good_ install, and then MySQL is superb. But to have a "good install" is not as easy as it sounds.

Can you list the elements of a good install?

Well...

One which does not make mysqld hang once in every hour (or minute).

Seriously speaking, this is what I meant. (I have previously posted a message on this list about this problem I am still facing.) A good install is one which works - if it works for a day, it will work basically forever. Usually it is even easy to install MySQL. However, if you start to twist it and/or you have some sort of incompatibility (say, in your gcc or some library you don't even know abaout), you are screwed. (At least I am.)

Currently I have two MySQL-s running on the same machine, on different ports, under different users, etc... I just could not set up this using one binary (it looks like some paths are getting compilled into the binaries) - even though when it worked, it crashed after a few minutes. Right now I have an RPM and a source install - this way the two MySQL instances are not messing up each other (but both of them are randomly crashing). I think this has something to do with that I am using RedHat 8... will compile 3.23.54a tomorrow (and freshen the RPM... brrr!) to see what develops.

- Cs.