Hello Gelu,

>> No, the glibc gethostby* will walk the tree defined in hosts.conf,
>> normally files,dns.  A non-find in /etc/hosts followed by a >NXDOMAIN
GG> If you said so....anyhow gethostby* is used by DNS and no reverse.
GG> The Name Server(named) use this both functions depending  by the order line
GG> in /etc/host.conf.And after this read the /etc/hosts.Depend on the action
GG> this file is call "host database file" or "static table for host names".
All this is very interesting, BUT i have two binary builds (4.0.7 & 4.0.8),
downloaded from mysql mirror, and 4.0.7 work for me about 1 month with out problems
(load avg 10-60 Query/sec), and 4.0.8 crash (in some
hardware/software) after 2 seconds work :(

Best regards,
 Andrew Sitnikov
 e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 GSM    : (+372) 56491109