sql,query,queries,smallint
> No, the glibc gethostby* will walk the tree defined in hosts.conf,
> normally files,dns.  A non-find in /etc/hosts followed by a >NXDOMAIN
If you said so....anyhow gethostby* is used by DNS and no reverse.
The Name Server(named) use this both functions depending  by the order line
in /etc/host.conf.And after this read the /etc/hosts.Depend on the action
this file is call "host database file" or "static table for host names".

> from DNS results in a negative return from the gethostby* call.

If it find something return a hostent data struct else is a NULL POINTER.

Conclusion....i think we talk about two different  thing

Regards,

Gelu
G.NET SOFTWARE COMPANY

Permanent e-mail address : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]