Hi,

I have a MySQL 2.23.36 running on a Linux RH 7.1. Its database directory
is /var/lib/mysql/. For some reason I want to change it to /home/mysql/. So
I did following things:

1. modify /etc/my.cnf: changed all /var/lib/mysql/ to /home/mysql/
2. modyfy /etc/init.d/mysqld: changed /var/lib/mysql/ to /home/mysql/
3. copied all database files from /var/lib/mysql/ to /home/mysql/
4. restart mysqld

OK. everything looks fine for connections from foreign machines.
However, for local connections, say connections from a locally hosted
web site via PHP, or a command line connection issued from shell, it
will return following error message:
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'

This was weird, since I had assumed that I made all the neccary changes
in /etc/my.cnf and /etc/init.d/mysqld.

Seems like mysql has some configure information hard-coded into
its buildup or whatever, and cannot be modified after installation?

Alex Shi