Alex,

I'm happy to hear you were able to resolve the socket problem!

>But still I have question regarding my.cnf: I searched the whole file
>system and found only one my.cnf in /etc/, and no .my.cnf. All I can
>find about the datadir and socket configurations are just staying in
>/etc/my.cnf and /etc/init.d/mysql. So, I really don't understand that,
>although I have make all the necessary changes, why for some
>certain situation mysql still takes the old configuration info and
>where it takes them from.

I know that some Linux dists do things that I (as a user mostly under
Win) find rather strange. I'm not informed which dist you are using, and
even if I knew - well, as said, I leave this question to the Linux gurus
on this list.

Regards,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Geschäftsführer / CEO iConnect GmbH <http://iConnect.de>

Thanks a lot! With your help my issue resolved. Now both the
command line connection and PHP connection can work fine.

But still I have question regarding my.cnf: I searched the whole file
system and found only one my.cnf in /etc/, and no .my.cnf. All I can
find about the datadir and socket configurations are just staying in
/etc/my.cnf and /etc/init.d/mysql. So, I really don't understand that,
although I have make all the necessary changes, why for some
certain situation mysql still takes the old configuration info and
where it takes them from.

Again, thanks for your help and patient. I know my issue already
resolved. I asked the question because I want to learn something
more in detail.

Best Regards,

Alex

> Alex,
>
> > If I put a copy of my.cnf to <datadir> would that be any help? Any
> what
> > is <home_directory>? Sorry I am kind of newbie for in-depth
knowledge
> > of MySQL.
>
> Nope. You don't have three "copies" of my.cnf (one of them actually
> called .my.cnf, note the dot) to make things more complicated, but to
> give you more flexibility.
>
> Ask the gurus on this list (Paul?! ;-) for a good example why one
should
> have /etc/my.cnf (global options) AND <datadir>/my.cnf (server
options).
> But for .my.cnf, you can use this to store username/password for the
> MySQL client, or even to store a different socket through which to
> connect to the server.
>
> > And why the /etc/init.d/mysqld (this is a shell script)
> > still has some hard-coded configuration information even we already
> > have 3 copies of my.cnf? I had assume it should be able to retrieve
> > conf info from conf files, and this was what the role of a conf file
> > supposed to be ....
>
> I leave this one to the Linux folks.
>
> > [client]
> > OK, I added this entry into my.cnf, and it does help for connection
> issued
> > from command line, but it doesn't work for PHP connection function
> (issued
> > drom web).
>
> Right. This only works for clients that read the option file(s) when
> starting. PHP won't, but with PHP that's no problem, as the manual
> explains for mysql_connect():
>
> "The server parameter can also include a port number. eg.
> "hostname:port" or a path to a socket eg. ":/path/to/ socket" for the
> localhost.
> Note: Support for ":port" was added in PHP 3.0B4.
> Support for ":/path/to/socket" was added in PHP 3.0.10."
>
> Details: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-connect.php
>
> Regards,
> --
>   Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   Geschäftsführer / CEO iConnect GmbH <http://iConnect.de>
>   Heesestr. 6, 12169 Berlin (Germany)
>   Tel: +49 30 7970948-0  Fax: +49 30 7970948-3

installation?