Basically the problem is only the ownership and it has to be owned by mysql. The problem is indeed there, how to chown or chmod those data so it can be owned by mysql.

JD

Alex Shi wrote:

Hi,

I have a MySQL 2.23.36 running on a Linux RH 7.1. Its database directory
is /var/lib/mysql/. For some reason I want to change it to /home/mysql/. So
I did following things:

1. modify /etc/my.cnf: changed all /var/lib/mysql/ to /home/mysql/
2. modyfy /etc/init.d/mysqld: changed /var/lib/mysql/ to /home/mysql/
3. copied all database files from /var/lib/mysql/ to /home/mysql/
4. restart mysqld

OK. everything looks fine for connections from foreign machines.
However, for local connections, say connections from a locally hosted
web site via PHP, or a command line connection issued from shell, it
will return following error message:
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'

This was weird, since I had assumed that I made all the neccary changes
in /etc/my.cnf and /etc/init.d/mysqld.

Seems like mysql has some configure information hard-coded into
its buildup or whatever, and cannot be modified after installation?

Alex Shi