You are absolutely right! In the /usr/bin/safe_mysqld, there're two lines
where "/var/lib/mysql..." is residing. To me this looks kind of rediculous
(sorry for my stupid comment), why they have those configuration
info hard-coded in the script? Since we already have my.cnf so the
conf info was supposed to be taken from it, but not hard-coded...
Sorry again for those great guys who created this brilliant SQL server...

Alex