I have a mysql server containing multiple databases, one of the databases is very important that it is not slowed down by other databases. This database is used for a real time game server (card games), and any stalls causes all players to stall, they hate that. I've mostly solved this problem with a master/slave setup. The problem now is the other databases in the same mysql instance are getting larg. When I make changes to them with alter table, it can slow down and even block queries to the other databases for minutes at a time. My question is how do I prevent alter table in one database from blocking queries in another database? What I need is some way to say that any queries to this database (or specific tables) have top priority, always.

Thanks for any assistance!
Dan