On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:05:43PM -0700, Dan Edwards wrote:

> I have a mysql server containing multiple databases, one of the
> databases is very important that it is not slowed down by other
> databases. This database is used for a real time game server (card
> games), and any stalls causes all players to stall, they hate
> that. I've mostly solved this problem with a master/slave setup.

Hmm.

Stalls are expected if the system gets CPU or disk I/O bottlenecked
during the ALTER TABLE operation.

> The problem now is the other databases in the same mysql instance
> are getting larg. When I make changes to them with alter table, it
> can slow down and even block queries to the other databases for
> minutes at a time. My question is how do I prevent alter table in
> one database from blocking queries in another database? What I need
> is some way to say that any queries to this database (or specific
> tables) have top priority, always.

It shouldn't block entirely.

Can you snapshot the output for SHOW PROCESSLIST when this happens?
Or maybe watch interactively with mytop?

Also, which MySQL and operating system are you using?

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.13: up 6 days, processed 198,848,091 queries (347/sec. avg)