Can you grab the output of 'vmstat' or iostat or something that'll measure disk I/O next time this happens?

I'm going to try real hard not to do that again until it is upgraded or another solution is found.

What'd help more is adding more disks not a single faster one--unless
the SCSI disk is an order of magnitude faster.

What is usually the better way to take advantage of multiple disks, raid stripping or seperating the dbs to different disks? I've been playing with scsi raid on the slave machine. It didn't help other performance problems as much as I was hoping it would. The issue there is takeing these large tables and generating reports. I have one report that takes
about 6 hours.

Also while I'm asking, the scsi setup I have on the slave is a p4 2.4, lsi160 card with 4 fujitsu Ultra160 10,000 rpm 9 gig drives, useing linux software raid. Definatly the cheapo route. My question is, how does this setup with the $45 lsi card compare to say a $300+ adaptec card with hardware raid. Especially considering that the cpu is so underutilized? Is there any good sites that compare mysql performance on different hardware? All I could find is on mysql.com with 4 year old hardware.

Not off the top of my head.  You could do the ALTER TABLE on another
machine (a slave) and the copy it to the master.  But that has other
problems.

That isn't too bad of an idea I'll have to think about that some more.

Thanks for the help, I've been useing mysql for 4-5 years now without asking a single question, I'm glad that there is help now that I finally have.

Dan