On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 05:27:00PM -0700, Dan Edwards wrote:

> > Can you grab the output of 'vmstat' or iostat or something that'll
> > measure disk I/O next time this happens?
>
> I'm going to try real hard not to do that again until it is upgraded or
> another solution is found.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

> > What'd help more is adding more disks not a single faster one--unless
> > the SCSI disk is an order of magnitude faster.
>
> What is usually the better way to take advantage of multiple disks, raid
> stripping or seperating the dbs to different disks? I've been playing
> with scsi raid on the slave machine. It didn't help other performance
> problems as much as I was hoping it would. The issue there is takeing
> these large tables and generating reports. I have one report that takes
> about 6 hours.

That depends on your access patterns and where the bottlenecks are.
I've seen some pretty good speed boosts from putting the most active
databases on sepraate disks.  On the other hand, if all your activity
ins in a single database (or even a single table) then RAID-0 might be
better.

Which type of RAID did you try, anyway?

> Also while I'm asking, the scsi setup I have on the slave is a p4 2.4,
> lsi160 card with 4 fujitsu Ultra160 10,000 rpm 9 gig drives, useing
> linux software raid. Definatly the cheapo route. My question is, how
> does this setup with the $45 lsi card compare to say a $300+ adaptec
> card with hardware raid. Especially considering that the cpu is so
> underutilized? Is there any good sites that compare mysql performance on
> different hardware? All I could find is on mysql.com with 4 year old
> hardware.

I suspect that you'll see little difference with a more expensive
card.  Linux software RAID usually performs quite well.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.13: up 7 days, processed 208,195,890 queries (342/sec. avg)