I would assume that if you have two MySQL threads, one doing the ugly ALTER TABLE
and another responsible for a simple SELECT query (perhaps even query cached) on a
table in another database, that no matter how long that ALTER TABLE thread took,
the OS would schedule the SELECT thread soon enough and you'd still get timely
results.

Just curious, are you using FreeBSD?