I am using 4 120G IDE Drives with an Adaptec IDE RAID Controller on RedHat Linux providing 240G of RAID 5 storage. While not quite as fast as SCSI, I have found this to work very well. You should be able to pickup a nice dual processor XENON 2.4Ghz system w/1G Ram and IDE RAID loaded with RedHat Linux ES for around $4,000.